Home visits as part of clinical research have accelerated in recent years as we strive to find the right balance between facilitating study participation while accommodating participant’s busy everyday lives. Clinical trials in rare diseases are even more challenging than trials in other diseases due to a number of factors:
- Small number of eligible trial participants
- Complicated by heterogeneity among rare disease patients
- Most have no cure and manifest at a young age
- Less than 10% of rare diseases have a specific treatment
- Many have other debilitating conditions / physical limitations making it difficult to attend frequent study visits
The combination of home study visits and the right technology removes barriers to optimal patient recruitment, compliance and retention.